By Weekend Argus Reporter.
One of Cape Town's best-known Thai restaurants, Chai Yo, was destroyed in a fire which swept through a 95-year-old building in Durban Road, Mowbray, late on Saturday.
Firefighters believe it could have been started by an electrical fault in one of the businesses in the Campground Centre building.
Around eleven people were dining at Chai Yo at about 5pm when the fire broke out in the upstairs premises of an events company, African Kaleidoscope.
No one was injured.
The fire also destroyed a fish and chip shop, Ocean Fresh, African Kaleidoscope and a fourth business.
Owner of the building Rashmi Kooverjee said the fire was "every property owner's worst nightmare".
He has owned the building for the past seven years. They were still unclear about what exactly started the fire, but suspected it had started at one of the computers in African Kaleidoscope.
Mr Somchart, owner of Chai Yo, said the restaurant, which he had started 14 years ago, was his first business in South Africa.
"I am very upset because what am I supposed to do now?"
Somchart said customers were evacuated when they realised the building was on fire and no one was harmed.
Somchart's restaurant is insured and he has another restaurant, Simply Asia, in Lakeside.
Three fire trucks attended to the blaze within minutes while traffic was diverted away from Durban Road
Copyright © 2012 Chai-Yo. All Rights Reserved. Designed by D-Zine.